Tuesday, May 13, 2008
NON-Stress Test?!
My doctor's appointment yesterday had to be one of the most stressful yet and the test we underwent was called a "non-stress test". I know it's named that because it's a non-invasive test and no stress is placed on the baby, but I felt plenty of anxiety. The point of the test is to make sure the baby's heart rate is responsive (increased) to its movements. The initial plan was to watch the heart rate for 20 minutes. Since our baby was sleeping at first, she had to be watched for about 45. I had to drink some juice to wake her up and get her to "act right" (I'm quoting the doctor). The entire 45 minutes I laid there with 2 monitors around my belly, a contraption in my hand because I was to push the button when I felt her move, all while concentrating on feeling and watching for movement, listening to her heartbeat, and watching the machine print out her heart rate. The entire time I was preparing for the doctor to come in and say "you're going to have your baby today". I already had a list in my head of things that Dave would need to bring to the hospital or better yet was hoping the doctor would let me run home first to finish packing my bag! THAT was a busy 45 minutes!! The doctor then did another ultrasound to check the fluid levels & placenta. Everything checked out great and I was on my way. I LOVE that the doctor is respectful of my apparent anxiety and is going to see me again this Thursday. I'm not sure what we will do and if I'll have another NST but this time I will eat before I go so that hopefully the baby will be awake. Ahhh . . . if only the doctor could do the test at approximately 4 am as that would be a sure bet for LOTS of movement!! EIGHT DAYS AND COUNTING . . .