Thursday, January 7, 2010

Whirlwind Holidays

Wow, what a great and busy end to 2009! First, Sarah came to visit and we took a girls' trip to San Antonio with my mom and Makenzie.

Here is Sarah and Makenzie dancing to Dirty Dog. It's an old polka-ish song we found on one of my grandma's cd's and Makenzie loves it. I haven't played it for her since Sarah left because I don't want to cry.



Four generations. We had so much fun. Makenzie especially liked the part when I would put her to bed and she would cry (like she does most every time), and I would have three sets of eyes on me; my mom's, grandma's, and Sarah's. They would all look at me and say something like, she's crying, can I go get her? My typical response of, "she will be just fine, this is normal, she will stop soon", was followed up 30 seconds later with, "she's still crying, NOW can I go get her?" Makenzie just didn't want to miss out on all the girly fun!



Jesper and Eric arrived a couple of days after we returned from San Antonio. They all went to Emory, with the plan that Dave, Makenzie, and I would join them on Christmas Eve after Mass. Our original plan of a nice, leisurely opening of our gifts before we drove to Emory turned into a rush to get gifts opened and bags packed so that we could get out before the snow and ice got too bad. Luckily, we don't go overboard on gifts, so Makenzie opened a few, and off we went!

Here's Makenzie on Rody, her gift from Sarah, Jesper, and Eric. She will be able to bounce around for years, he 'grows' as she needs him to. She doesn't quite have the hang of it and yesterday, got on him, but was afraid to get off of him without falling, so she just sat and cried until I rescued her. She is a little overly dramatic though!



Here's a Christmas day portrait of everyone: Sarah & Jesper, my mom and Art, Eric, and us.



On Monday the 28th, the three of us drove to Colorado. The drive was not as bad as we thought it would be. We were saved by the purchase of a portable DVD player for Makenzie. I vowed never to stop in west Texas again; definitely not the place to stop when you are in a hurry and have places to go!

Our first stop was Colorado Springs, where the Meyer Christmas gathering was more sparse than it has been since I've been around, but it was super-fun and it meant that the kids played the major roles in the annual nativity play! Here is a picture of the cast: Teller, Sawyer, Bridger, Reyer, and Makenzie. The adults did have roles, I just chose not to include that picture here!



While in the Springs, we had Five Guys for the first time. We really liked it and must find the one in Dallas!



Makenzie carried on her habit of feeding boys to Colorado. I just think this is a funny picture of her feeding Reyer while he is in the toybox!



Then it was off to Denver, where we visited my dad, Rhonda, and my brother. Here is a picture of all of us.



Makenzie loved throwing snowballs. It was not easy to get her to come in. She usually realized once she got in that her hands were cold from holding snow. I am not sure if she has just thrown a snowball or crushed it in her hand, but I like how I can see the snow falling to the ground in this picture.



We could not have possibly kept track of how many times Makenzie said "puppy" while we were at my dad's. She loves his two dogs and the first words out of her mouth in the morning were "puppy, ruf, ruf". Here she is kissing Lobo, or as she calls him, "Bobo".



Eve tried to escape the constant activity of being around a toddler by hiding under the table. You can see how well it worked. Makenzie just joined her and as a peace offering, fed her wrapping paper.



More pictures in the album to the right. Enjoy!