Friday, January 21, 2011

Lipstick and Grass

Makenzie sometimes has great hearing. From anywhere in the house, she will hear my printer starting up (she runs into the office to wait for it to finish, then delivers it to me), the start of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, the garage door opening signaling that Dave is home, the clank of silverware as I start unloading the dishwasher (she then runs in to help me), and me opening cabinets in my bathroom to get out my makeup.

I no longer get to put on makeup alone. And I love it . . . usually (I don't love it as much when I'm in a hurry). It's normally the same routine that goes something like this. "Mommy, can I put some on?" Then very matter of fact, "I'll go get my stool so I can see a lot better" (when she says this, she's probably also nodding her head to emphasize what she's saying; something Dave says I do to him all the time). She returns in the blink of an eye with her Tinker Bell stool, sets it right next to me, and steps right up. "Can I have this one or this one? Is this one too dark? Where's the purple eyeshadow? Can I use this on my eyebrow?"

I need to get her a set of makeup brushes because mine are getting abused with how forcefully she shoves them into the eye shadow compact. She gets everything in the right place and even taps the eyeshadow brush on the side of the compact to shake off the excess. Someone's been watching me!

Yesterday, she decided to put on every single lipstick and lip gloss I own (which is only 7, by the way; probably surprising to some of you). I kept asking her if I could take a picture and I got a couple of "no, it's not quite ready yet" following by a few "no, it's not quite prilly yet". Finally, she let me take some because I told her we would look at them later on the computer and that we'd send one to Aunt Sarah.



Not bad for a 2 1/2 year old, right?!

And how about this one? She discovered grass yesterday. I'm not sure how long she would have laid on that blanket and touched the grass. She would hardly even look up when I said, "mamamamama", and that ALWAYS works. I think she was bothered with my picture taking while she was mesmerized by the grass.



Exacly five years ago, I was putting together a bunch of wedding favors with the women in my family. I probably should have been getting in a few hours of beauty sleep, but who can sleep when you're about to marry the best man in the world?! Not me! Tomorrow we'll go on a real date. We'll spend too much on dinner and both think to ourselves how we could have better spent that money. We'll be home before 10 because that's how we roll. Once home, we'll peek in at the girls, and think about all that we've done in the past 5 years. Sweet, sweet life!