Now, before you start feeling sorry for Makenzie and telling yourself how mean we are for taking her fish, let me just say that the 'quiet girl with the sweetest voice ever' does misbehave. And she is usually loud. But she is sweet and does have a sweet voice and sometimes 1% of me is laughing, while the other 99% is frustrated when she says something like, "no, I will never go to my room". Or, "mommy, please do what I say", when she's just told me she would like to have a popsicle at 7 am outside on her bike when it's 12 degrees outside. It's funny how she thinks please really IS the magic word and that it automatically means that any wish she uses it with will be granted.
Another favorite thing I forgot to include a couple of posts ago are the girls' kissing contests. It's really the most fun for me to watch when Dave is their subject. They take turns kissing his cheeks. Like, 10 in a row. Kissing is big in our house right now . . . and any house we visit.
Brinley did this one day last week. It made us laugh for a while. I can't decide if I like this better or worse than when she pulls shirts down over her shoulders and walks around with everything hanging around her waist. Or tonight when she pulled her pants down around her ankles and was high stepping like crazy saying, "elp" (help), trying to get them off. Dave and I just laughed at her.
Brinley also likes to wear my headbands. She puts them on by herself.
We got snow. The big fluffy snowflakes are my favorite. We shoveled the driveway one day, then the next day made snow piles for Makenzie to ride her bike over. That's the way the weather has been lately. A couple of days later, we took Makenzie sledding at the neighbors at night. They do it up right. A floodlight to light the path also provides the perfect backlight to watch kids catch snowflakes on their tongues and make snow angels. I didn't take my camera, but I will next time!
Makenzie's been begging to go for a walk in "her forest". For the record, this Texan mama doesn't go on leisurely walks in any temperatures below 40 degrees. I will one day. So Dave took her. While Brinley was supposed to be napping. But she didn't want to nap, so I brought her downstairs right as they were getting ready to leave on their big excursion. Brinley wants to go anywhere Makenzie goes, so five minutes after they left (and the entire time they were gone), she was dressed like this and kept saying, "I ready".
Here they are coming back in. I stood on our deck to take this picture. Makenzie got a walking stick and later on the way to Target, told me how Dave stuck it in a hole in the ground and broke it. I asked her if he broke it over his knee or with his foot and then she said he did and went on to say that "Daddy is so, so strong. He's the strongest EVER". And I told her he was and that he could do anything. Because a dad's biggest cheerleaders should be his daughters. And I want our daughters to be just that.
Daddy's princess. Makenzie loves anything green. It's her favorite color. He's wearing her favorite color and she noticed. This same day she also ate 2 plates of broccoli. Because it's green.
Sunday morning as I was blow drying my hair for church, Makenzie came in the bathroom crying. I thought Dave was outside shoveling snow and normally without much parental supervision, Brinley is the one that ends up crying. She was crying and telling me that she really wants a fairy sandwich. I asked her if Daddy was inside, she said yes, I said to ask him (because obviously I'm too busy for this)! She cried, "but he said he won't make me a fairy sandwich". She was so upset. I went to the top of the stairs, where my big hunk of a husband looked up and said, "what in the world is a fairy sandwich?!" A sandwich cut in fours! Easy! And there you have it. Life with little girls. A fairy ANYTHING is just a smaller version. A bonus would be glitter . . . excuse me, fairy dust!