Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Long One

Just a heads up that this is going to be a long post and I'm going to use pictures to tell my story because I feel like being a little different today!

Last week Makenzie and I went to Emory to stay with my mom for two nights. It was so much fun! I figured since I'm not working right now, why not take a little mini-vacation to Emory? Plus, Makenzie now has one section of a guest room devoted completely to her since she's the only one in the family that can sleep in the crib. We hope to make this a monthly trip at the very least. We like to listen to all the little old ladies and young girls with their east Texas twang say how cute Makenzie is.

We got there on Tuesday of last week and on Wednesday morning . . . oh, I have to interrupt this to say Makenzie slept each night for 10+ hours. The most EVER! Must be the country air. Anyway, on Wednesday morning we went to wake up Granny and found her in a completely stark white bed, she was even wearing white pajamas. I called her Elizabeth Taylor so since Makenzie was wearing white, she also wanted to do her Elizabeth Taylor imitation. Makenzie likes to cross her legs at the ankles, until she can no longer hold it and then they *POP* open. This sure has lengthened my diaper-changing time.


One of the many things that has changed with our marriage since Makenzie arrived is that Dave and I talk about poop a lot more (usually Makenzie's). He will tell you that I have poop-anxiety and maybe I do if that means that I think everyone should go at least once a day on or around the same time. Makenzie has recently skipped a day or two (ack) every so often and I don't like it. At that point I attribute every cry to the fact that she hasn't gone in days. All of that to say that our first morning in Emory included a little bit of pear juice/water combo for the first time to get things moving AND it worked! She might have drank one ounce, it didn't take much. Much more fun to adminster than a suppository. I only intervene with her body's schedule on the 3rd day of no action. Here she is drinking the juice.


Here's Makenzie playing in her Emory crib. This was at the tail-end of her nap so the blinds were letting in just enough light for her legs to cast a shadow on the bumper, which fascinated her. She kept moving her legs in different positions and watching the shadow. You can't tell that's what was going on since I used the flash on the camera but that's why I just told you!


It seems like I took everything but the kitchen sink with me on this trip. I didn't want Makenzie to be without her favorite things. Better yet, I didn't want ME to be without her favorite things so here she is posing in her Bumbo seat. We used her purple rug as a backdrop - on a sidenote, I don't have my own rug at my mom's . . . I'm just saying. Note the rolls on her thighs and a bib, which she now wears almost all the time because she drools so much. Did I mention she's teething? Yesterday the combination of spit from drool, her bubble-blowing, and everything that pours out of her mouth while she tries to get all 10 fingers in there soaked right through the bib and the front of her outfit was drenched. I'm so proud!! Also, only because I love my mom so much did I neglect to brush Makenzie's hair on this day. She woke up with 2 little horns and my mom asked me to leave it because she thought it was cute. This was really hard because unkempt hair does not sit well with me. But . . . we were on vacation so I put on my big girl panties and dealt with it.


The next morning after a stroll outside which included swinging, looking in the pond for fish, and meeting all the cats and dog, my mom made soup while Makenzie watched and I showered. They picked fresh basil for our soup and when Makenzie would get cranky, because she wants to always sit up on her own instead of leaning back in her bouncy seat even though she can't really sit on her OWN, we have to help her, my mom would twirl the "magic" basil and she would just stare and quit crying. Here she is with the basil. By the way, if you would like some basil plants just let me know. My mom has HUNDREDS, for real, HUNDREDS. They are babies of her big basil plants and so much more economical than buying fresh basil in the store and so much better than dried basil in the jar. Mmm . . . I love fresh pesto.


And here is Makenzie looking at Franklin. I think that's Franklin, I could tell you for sure if I saw him from the back because he's not fixed and boy can you tell. Poor Franklin.

The rest of the pictures are in the slideshow. I'm closing this post with a video. Yesterday morning Makenzie was happy and tired after she ate and was talking away until I tried to get video of it. I got a few small snippets and chose this one because she says what I believe to be 'mom' at the end AND she shows you her Supergirl arms towards the beginning!