Saturday, October 11, 2008

Updates

I've been up since 2:30 am with Makenzie and can't go back to bed until I'm certain she's sound asleep, so I thought I would update my blog to pass the time! I just downloaded the pictures I took on Thursday and saw this one, which almost made me laugh out loud.

On Monday Makenzie rolled from back to front. She did this once before (in August) but this time she really worked to do it whereas before I think the squishy bed made her do it. When she did it on Monday she froze . . . she surprised herself and wasn't quite sure what had just happened. She's been rolling from front to back; she went from hating tummy time to rolling right over to get out of it. Now she will play on her tummy, as you can see in this picture (more in the updated album).

She is loving her Baby Einstein activity gym even more. She gets mad when the attachments won't come off when she grabs them in an attempt to put them in her mouth.

She's getting better at putting her pacifier in her mouth the right way. It's still funny when she pulls it out, then whines for it.

I read a book called The Baby Whisperer while I was pregnant both times. It's basically about a routine to put your baby on. While it sounded good and makes a bunch of sense, routine pretty much went out the window in the early stages when I would do whatever it took to get sleep. I didn't care if she ate then went to sleep without any activity in between. NOW I care because I don't want her to HAVE to nurse in order to go to sleep. Anyway, all that to say that Makenzie has just about gotten herself on a little routine in the past week. And it's in line with the book. Yay! We are ALL much happier when Makenzie gets naps throughout the day, and she will let EVERYONE know when she's tired since she has learned to scream and growl (her new crying noise). Some nights I could call her my little insomniac. She wants to sleep, needs to sleep, but can't figure out just how to get to sleep. Rocking her works every time and that's fine with me; isn't that what moms are for?! I can STILL go to sleep when I rock. This week she has been sleeping for 10 hours straight at night. Except for tonight because she missed her evening nap. So she slept from 7:45 pm to 2:45 am. I would like to be grouchy when she wakes me up at 2:45 am but I can't resist her big, cheesy smile when I go in her room. She looks up at me as if to say, "good morning, time to play". She doesn't know she shouldn't be up for another six hours, she thinks it's morning.

Since it's almost 5 am, I should go back to bed. Tomorrow we are planning on going to the Dallas Arboretum for their Great Pumpkin Festival as long as TX/OU game crowds & traffic aren't too bad. If so, we'll go next weekend. I'll post pictures!