Sunday, October 5, 2008

Walk to Remember

Yesterday Dave, Makenzie, and I did M.E.N.D's Walk to Remember for Madeline and her cousin Jameson. This was our second time. It's "a ceremony for families touched by miscarriage, stillbirth or infant death; a celebration of the short lives that have so deeply touched us". M.E.N.D provides each family with an ornament to hang on a tree planted at the church (and then take home when the ceremony is over). The ornament has a ribbon with the babies' name and dates. Here's a picture of Madeline's.


It starts with a short remembrance walk and then a couple of speakers say a few words. Then they recognize the babies by reading each name and date, at which time the family of the baby hangs their ornament on the tree. We hang Madeline and Jameson close together.

We wear a shirt with the M.E.N.D logo on the back and on the front a message saying who you're remembering (i.e, Natalie Jane Meyer remembering Madeline Jane Meyer). Dave and I got ours last year and the design never changes, so we don't have to buy a new one each year. Since Makenzie is too small for the smallest t-shirt, we ordered her a onesie that reads "I'm the Little Sister". Here's a picture of her modeling it. Please excuse her lack of enthusiasm - she was tired!


They have musicians there who are always really good and play music throughout. Yesterday they sang With Hope by Steven Curtis Chapman, which is one of my favorite songs. The lyrics are perfect! Next we listened to a GREAT keynote speaker, whose book I will order, and then released balloons. Pink balloons are for girls, blue for boys, and white for those whose sex was never known. We learned last year that when we tie our balloons together, it's easier to spot them once released. Here I am with our balloons (Makenzie was sleeping).

It was really windy and at first the wind took the balloons straight across instead of up into the air so I thought they would get caught in the field, that would have been upsetting! But they didn't. As we were walking back to the car, they played the song Fly by Celine Dion. Another one that I love and makes me cry every time I hear it. Here's a picture of Makenzie flying like Madeline.