Thursday, April 30, 2009

Trees

Last weekend, Dave and I completed a project we have been wanting to do for 2 years now. We aren't procrastinators, we're challenged decision-makers!

About two years ago, we received a gift card from Dave's family to use for a tree in memory of Madeline. Our very first decision was where to plant the tree. We know we won't be in this house forever but we wanted something we could see every single day, one that we didn't have to drive or fly to. It's already been established that this house will be hard to leave because this is our ONLY house that Madeline will have physically lived in. Then we're picturing this tree in the backyard that we have to say goodbye to one day. Not fun. I cried like a baby when I left my first house, which I had no attachments to other than it being the first house I owned. But to this house we have brought home two babies, and who knows how many more we'll bring home by the time we're finished with it?! Dave joked that we'll never move and instead just add on until we have no backyard (which wouldn't take a lot).

Okay, so enough of my rambling . . . all that to say our first decision was to decide where to put the tree. Dave had a brilliant idea! Let's plant the tree on the side of the house, since we've been discussing the need for something over there, and we can drive by whenever we want to see it. Oh my goodness, this gem of a man I married solves all my dilemmas!

Next decision, what kind of tree to get. I have always wanted a Japanese Red Maple. But I also thought we should get a flowering tree because they're so pretty. We did neither! So we decide to just check out the Japanese Maples and in a cluster of about 20 of them in all different shades, this beautiful green one just pops out at us. So we stand there for about 15 minutes deciding what to do. I felt like we were Christmas tree shopping again, comparing it to all the others. What clinched it for me was when a woman walked by and eyed my tree. Sometimes women do this to my husband and with just one look I'm pretty sure they know to keep their eyes to themselves and move on. We knew this tree was meant to be when it rang up ten dollars cheaper than that tag indicated. I love it when that happens!

This same weekend, my mom brought over two trees! She and Art went to a tree farm in East Texas and took advantage of some great finds. So she called and asked if Makenzie could have a tree for her birthday and I said yes of course. I draw the line at a tree though, please no dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, or ponies. She brought over two though because they decided to get one for each of the girls!

Now onto planting. Dave dug the holes. I tried to help with this but I seriously am horrible at shoveling. The dirt was heavy but it's not that, I have never been able to figure out how to work a shovel. Here he is on the last hole!



My job was to plant the tree. By this time Makenzie had woken up from her very short nap so you can see her in this picture.



Here is Madeline's tree from the Meyers. The angel at the base is from Dave's mom and there's also a blingy firefly pick but you can't see it.




This is Makenzie's tree in front of her window. It is so nice to open the blinds in her room in the morning and see a tree! And then while we eat breakfast, we see the other one!



All three. We think this has already changed the look of the side of our house, and the trees are still young! Two Globe Willows and one Japanese Maple.