Sunday, May 10, 2009

Baby Steps on Mother's Day

Today was all about baby steps. Some for me and some for Makenzie.

We spent Mother's Day in Emory. Yesterday we got there in what we thought was ample time to take Makenzie for her first pony ride at the Founder's Day celebration. The ponies must have been tired because they packed them up 45 minutes earlier than advertised, just as we arrived! Instead she sat on a red tractor and turned the steering wheel in true farmer style.

Before we left, we were outside so we could take a Mother's Day picture and Makenzie wanted to play with Jackson as he gnawed on a ham bone. This is where the baby steps started for me. First as I was holding Makenzie, she pretended to be playing in the grass. So I didn't think much of it until I looked at her and realized she just ate dirt. Ugh!! My mom and Dave thought this was funny and completely normal. Really?! It's not normal for MY little girl to have a dirt beard. So whatever, I then let her go after Jackson. How much worse could it get, she just ate dirt?! I was sure he wouldn't let her get near his ham bone so I knew she wouldn't get that in her mouth. Here she is sitting in the grass.



I'm not sure where the stick came from. I think my mom gave it to her for some reason. Initially she just held onto it in pure wonderment. But then she started brushing her hair with it. I was proud and puzzled all at the same time. Proud that she did the motions of brushing her hair, but with a stick? So first dirt, then a stick . . . I'm on a roll!



By the time it was all over, she had crawled in the dirt, had it all over her hands, knees, and dress (thank goodness for Oxiclean)! I chose this next picture because she's got a handful of dirt and if you look closely you can see it on her knees for maybe . . . just maybe, the first and last time!



Before all of that we did manage to get some group photos!







Makenzie has been taking baby steps since my birthday. The morning of my birthday she took her first unassisted step and that night while Dave and I were out to dinner, she took a couple more for Chris & Sarah. Since then, she has progressed to just needing to hold on to one of our fingers with one of her hands.

**I must go off topic for a minute for a random addition. Tonight Makenzie was throwing a little temper tantrum in which she basically wanted Dave or I to pick her up. We were all cozy on the couch and she had crawled toward the front door. We didn't of course and just listened to her overly dramatic cries. When she did finally come to us, she did a sort of storm-crawl. Just imagine a sassy little girl stomping her feet as she walks because she didn't get her way. Makenzie did this crawling-style. It was quite the show.**

Back to Makenzie's baby steps. Here is a video of the most unassisted steps she has taken so far. In ten days at Makenzie's 12 month appointment, I would really like to laugh and say "of COURSE she's walking" when the doctor asks! Enjoy.