Thursday, June 16, 2011

Makenzieisms

I should routinely post a segment on things Makenzie says that make us laugh. I'd be lying if I said I don't do it because I don't have time; it's really because I don't remember them. It's when Dave tells me I should put THAT on my blog (right after he gives me 'the look' and asks, "what goes on here during the day?"), that I know I should.

Last night while we were eating dinner, Makenzie was eating her animal-shaped mac & cheese (the favorite this week), and said, "it's a good thing I went poop and made room for all this mac & cheese." That is when I got 'the look' from Dave and had to explain that one time during one of her routine mid-meal bathroom breaks, I probably said something along the lines of, "wow, no wonder you couldn't eat, you needed to make room." She did, in fact, then clean her plate. The thing is, Makenzie has the memory of an elephant. She remembers TOO much. The beauty of this 3 year old is her innocence in saying something she believes to be pure fact, all because I said it. I will work on only saying things in her presence that wouldn't embarrass me if she blurted them out at someone else's dinner table!

I love Sundried Tomato & Basil Wheat Thins. Makenzie has realized she also loves them. Am I the only mom who is selfishly disappointed when my daughter also likes my favorite snack since it means I now have to share it?! I eat exactly 7 or 15 a day. Yep, I count them. I think Makenzie knows the sound of the box opening, because I don't get past number 7 without her saying, "please may I have some Wheat Fins?" And then I smile at her good manners and laugh inside at her mispronunciation of thins. I probably should correct her, but it's too new and cute for that!

Because the carpet in our townhouse is not new (or clean, by my standards), and because our kitchen, dining room, and living room areas are small and in close proximity to each other (like, no division between any of them), I let the girls eat snacks in the living room. It's only about 4 steps from the dining room table to the coffee table. Yesterday Brinley was playing quietly with an empty jar (just like Makenzie used to) when I noticed something on the jar. I realized (upon walking 7 1/2 steps from the kitchen sink to the coffee table) that Makenzie left a little bit of hummus and carrots in her bowl, which Brinley somehow splattered. (Probably since she likes to pick up things and slam them back down.) I said, "oh no, Brinley got into your hummus." Then I was reminded of the Friends episode with the hummus on Phoebe's dress; a favorite! Later that night, Makenzie laughingly reported to Dave, "Brinley got into my hunnus." I didn't correct her that time, either.

This is what Brinley did while I was doing this (Makenzie was still sleeping).


I wrote all that 2 days ago, and now I don't remember any others! Makenzie and Dave left yesterday to visit his parents, so it's just Brinley and me this weekend. And boy, do I have plans for us! The bank, getting her 1 year pictures done, and shopping. All because, I now realize how easy it is to do things with only 1. All the same stuff I thought was such a hassle with 1. Going to the mall is so much more manageable with 1 that can't walk or talk.

Brinley is growing, growing, growing. The 2nd most popular comment about her (behind how cute she is) is that she's tall. I finally realized just how tall she is when I compared her to a little boy at the park yesterday. I thought he was her age and was advanced because he was walking (although I know that's not really advanced to be walking at 1). But he was 18 months old! And the same size as Brinley! I think she could have beat him up if she wanted to. I can't wait for her doctor appointment on Tuesday to find out what percentile she is in. Whatever it is, she will NOT play on her high school football team or in a deep voice say, "Mom, I'm hungry. Mom, food", like Dave enjoys teasing me about.

Makenzie experienced her first black eye. I thought the whole point of tricycles was so that kids couldn't fall off. Makenzie has fallen off her tricycle twice. The second time, she fell while getting off of it, and she was wearing her sunglasses. She face-planted right into the garage floor and had a sunglass print on one side of her face, the top of which turned into a black eye.

This is before the fall. We were the only ones that visited the park that day because the temperature reached the high 90's. Too hot for the locals?


This is her eye on day 2 or 3. It was pretty colorful.


I don't like shirts with words on them. I had to make an exception for this one.


This is what Brinley likes to do at the pink park. Makenzie and I name parks by the color of the play equipment. In this case, an older park with faded red, aka pink!