Monday, August 8, 2011

Post Office

One plus to small-town living is the post office. I'm pretty sure I got there in about 2 minutes. It took me longer to get the girls in the car than it did to drive there. I don't think I saw one other car on the way there (not driving, at least).

I did notice three wildlife refuge signs. I knew the forested area on one side of the road to our neighborhood was a protected wildlife area, I just never noticed the signs until today. There was also a no hunting sign. Seriously, would someone shoot the sweet little deer that ventured to my backyard this week? Never mind . . . yes, yes someone would.

Back to the post office. I always dread going there with the girls because of the unknowns. I don't know how long the line will be, which means I don't know for how long I should expect the girls to act like the sweet angels that they are most of the time. Brinley likes to be held for about half a second before she's ready to get down and explore. The post offices we used to go to are too big for a curious one year old; I could probably get lost in one.

Today we walked into the post office, which was at best, the size of my living room. There were no other patrons in there. Brinley was free to roam around because of the small size, no strangers' legs to grab on to, not to mention a doting older sister who is always happy to grab her hand and lead her in another direction (in this case, that was handy).

When I walked in, the lady at the front desk was talking to the mail carrier (probably the only one) about mail forwarding and yellow stickers. I quickly realized they were discussing our mail and the lady at the front desk was the same person I talked to on the phone twice today. She had the mail I needed to pick up ready (because I talked to her earlier). Last time I picked up mail in Lewisville, I waited nearly 15 minutes.

I'll always be a city girl at heart and I know there will come a day when I'll miss the conveniences of a big city. But for now, I'll revel in the joys that are small town living.

If only my little town had a coffee shop. Perhaps I'll work on that!