Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fork

Makenzie fed herself with a fork Monday night for the first time. Dave had to poke it into her food, then she did the rest.

I love to watch Makenzie eat because it's exciting that she eats 'real' food. She doesn't seem to be a picky eater but she does have off days when she just doesn't want to eat much. Then the next day she may eat and eat and eat and eat. Some of her favorites are blueberry eggos, mandarin oranges, fruit cups, apple & cinnamon oatmeal (I mix it 50/50 with regular oatmeal to cut the sweetness), grilled cheese, macaroni & cheese (organic because the orange Kraft creeps me out), peas, cheese, turkey, goldfish crackers, teddy grahams, and any cookie. She has really only had mini vanilla wafers and Earth's Best letter of the day cookies but it's so cute for her to hold the miniature version and take a little bite.

She now likes turkey meatloaf. We had it Monday night and that is what she used her fork with. She liked the meatloaf more than the potatoes. I thought for sure it would be the other way around but come on . . . who can resist a good turkey meatloaf (the Pampered Chef recipe is scrumptious)!

Just getting started. Isn't it nice that her zebra is smiling and looking at the camera so nicely and the giraffe is watching Makenzie eat?!

Down the hatch!

Usually she puts things in the cup holder on her tray when she's finished with it. In this case I think she just wanted to see how the fork worked in there, because she wasn't finished.

Since Dave was helping her he naturally put the fork in her right hand. But I had to include this picture because she had it in her left hand. She's going to keep us in suspense as far as which hand will dominate! This picture even looks like she's teasing us by saying, "hmmm . . . which will it be?"

All finished! With minimal mess, which pleased me!

Within the past day, Makenzie has started walking a lot more. It is very cute and we have to get it on video because she gets really excited when she does it. She sometimes runs in all the excitement!

She also has a few more words: gagu (we don't know what this means and sometimes it sounds like taco), caca (she says this while we're changing her diaper or when she's playing with the Diaper Champ . . . yes I taught this to her early on when I would tell her not to play with the Diaper Champ "that's caca"), cracker OR thank you (they sound the same and we know for sure she says cracker but sometimes it sounds like a deliberate thank you), and duck.

She also knows when she hears the garage door open, daddy is home. So as soon as Dave opens the garage door she starts saying dada and then races to the door and tries to open it. He now has to slowly open the door because normally she's standing on the other side. One night this week I was out and when I opened the garage door she said mama.